The idea to build a component-based CMS came to me in 2016 while I was experimenting with the Laravel framework. I've spent most of the 2016 building two Laravel based web applications so I could master Laravel better. These two projects were personal projects. One was an image hosting application (something just like http://imgur.com, with complete Admin Area and a full set of features public-facing side of imgur.com, had at the time) and the second one was a simple CMS for my own needs.
Having built this simpler custom CMS in 2016, gave me the idea and also inspiration to build a better, modern and component-based CMS. So in 2017 without hesitation, I started from scratch the development on a new CMS, the CMS that I would end up calling LaraOne. Development started on Bitbucket since they had free private repos at the time.
In the summer of 2019, I decided to take it to Github and make it public, however with a custom license that gave me more rights over the code. In March 2020 LaraOne became a fully open source project by switching from a custom license to MIT license. I believe I've made the right decision.
Over the 3 years that have passed, I have put in 6000+ hours into the project and bit of money as well to get a helping hand when I had too much client work to take care of and could not alone move the development of the CMS with the speed I desired to go with.